Honestly, I’m not much of a New Years resolutions kind of gal. I am always creating new challenges and goals at any time of the year, most which I blow off because I am lazy. However, I think this is the perfect time to establish some new art goals and self-imposed challenges.
The main areas I would like to improve in are: hand lettering, acrylic painting, watercolor painting, and book making. In terms of habits, I’d like to be better at frequency of practice, project completion, organization of supplies, and cleaning up after my projects haha.
My specific art resolutions are:
- Handmade calendar pages
- Give away my works to more people
- Study and practice more
- More book making
1) Calendar Challenge: I sort of like to have a physical, wall calendar, but I hate to buy them. So the idea I have here is to spend some time the month before making a calendar page. This way, I make something useful, which is motivating, and have an opportunity to practice hand lettering along with any other painting or drawing I chose to do. This also allows flexibility in how simple or complex the entry can be which allows for me to complete it even in busier months.
2) I tend to be shy about my interests and the things I make. This year, I want to being to overcome that feeling of embarrassment about giving people, beyond my family and closest friend, the stuff I make and remember that everyone appreciates the work I put in for them, even if they may not like the art itself. But hopefully they will!
3) Follow more art tutorials and step by steps found online or in the art books I borrow from my grandmother or the library. Practice new skills and ‘officialize’ techniques. Do studies of objects and ideas etc.
4) Doing the December Daily, which I am working to finish, re-ignited my interest in book making from scratch or even just altering existing ones. Though the December daily was difficult in terms of timing, I’d like to do less deadline-oriented book making. I’ll be exploring more into mini albums, fabric books, mixed media, etc.